Saturday, November 29, 2008

Surreal Turkey

I had the strangest, and most oddly familial (is that a word?!), Thanksgiving ever. The food was great, it was great to see my family, blah blah blah, all that's true. The strange part was this: it was at my Auntie Kathy's house and I was in my cousin Stephanie's room, getting ready to smoke with Stephanie, Jimmy (her twin), Megan (her older sister), and Pedro (Megan's boyfriend). Apparently, my Auntie Kathy has been okay with them smoking for quite some time now. At any rate, Stephanie does the old towel-under-the-door trick and we smoke a bowl or two. About a minute after the third bowl was packed, Mike (Auntie Kathy's boyfriend of 6 or 7 years and my dad's best friend of about 40 years) walks through the door and holds his hand out for both pipe and lighter. The kids, ten years younger than me, thought he was there to do a little confiscating, but I knew better. My dad follows two steps behind him, and before he can close the door, in walks Auntie Kathy. We all smoked together (except for Auntie Mary, who was DD for the night). It was so oddly touching, this strange bonding experience. Three generations of us, really, all smoking together. It was amazing. There was this...I don't know, comaraderie. Oh, and the kids were so excited, I can't even begin to explain. All in all, I have to say it was probably the best Thanksgiving I've had in a very long time (would have been better if Dean had felt well enough to go, but ah well. Next year). And anyway, when Christmas rolls around...

No comments: