Thursday, November 13, 2008

Marriage



Speaking as someone who should never have been allowed to marry, but was nevertheless due to the gender of my ex-husband, I can categorically say that the passing of Prop 8 is fucking bullshit. Yeah, it took me awhiile to get to this entry, but gimme a break; I just opened this fucking blog yesterday. I got married in Vegas- the mecca of ridiculous weddings. I got married in a 15 minute ceremony in a fucking chapel by the airport. I'm going to repeat that. THE FUCKING AIRPORT. When we got our wedding license, there were representatives from a dozen other wedding chapels, selling weddings to the hapless motherfuckers exiting the courthouse who had just signed their life away. There were countless wedding chapels with neon lights, drive-thrus, and Elvis impersonators who are somehow ordained as ministers with the power to marry these retarded couples. We split up not long after that, and I can't wait to get a real divorce. If all of this doesn't make a mockery of marriage, I don't know what does. And yet, I was allowed to make this collossal mistake simply because I'm a woman and the idiot I married was a man (sort of). My current boyfriend was tricked into impregnating a fat whore at the age of 16, married her because he believed it was the right thing to do, and was subsequently cheated on, lied about, and stolen from. This was also allowed, because the fat whore was a woman (sort of). Am I to believe that the religious right in this country are really planning on allowing this to go on, as long as the two assholes involved are of different genders? It's ridiculous. Love is a gift, and everyone should be allowed to open it. And please, stop giving me the "civil union is allowed, and it's the same as marriage," argument. If it truly was the same, it would be the standard for all couples. Are we to return to the days of "separate but equal"? Are the gay people in this country one step away from being forced into different bathrooms, separate water fountains, and sub-par schools? What happened to "life, liberty,and the pursuit of happiness"?!?! Granted, that phrase was written by men who refused to allow women or black people to vote, and in most cases marriage goes directly agianst the pursuit of happiness, but it's a mistake everyone should be allowed to make. Yes, the Bible is dead set against it (and yes, I love Jesus), but one of the principles upon which this country was founded is religious freedom. Why, then, are there couples being forced to cowtow to the Christian ideal? None of this shit makes sense. I'm through.

No comments: